Everyone loves the festive season, but it can be a stressful time. From decorating your home and festive frivolities to organising your family activities, it can be tricky to stay calm and not get overwhelmed. At times like these, it's important to remember that you're not alone and that there are plenty of ways to feel more tranquil during this busy period. Here are our personal favourites:
1) Breathing exercises
Deep breathing can help you feel more relaxed during this crazy time of year! There are many types of breathing exercises that can help relieve stress. One type of exercise involves inhaling deeply and holding your breath for four seconds followed by a slow exhale (like you're blowing out a candle). You can do this several times a day to slow down your mind and body. You can also try deep breathing with an app like Calm or Headspace, which will guide you through the process with calming music and visuals.
To relax yourself even further, you could apply our ‘Calm Anxiety’ Ear Seeds, during you breathing sessions to bring a greater sense of serenity.
2) Declutter your living space
Decluttering your living space can help bring a sense of calm by creating a more organised environment. Try asking yourself if each item in your home is necessary or brings joy. It can feel like an overwhelming task, but here are some tips to make the process easier:
- Start small: pick one room and go from there
- Create a "keep" pile: put items that bring you joy into this pile
- Separate everything else into two categories: "give away" or "toss"
In particular you could:
- Sort through your clothes and donate them if they're out of style or you haven't worn them in the last year
- Sort through your papers and files and discard anything that's no longer relevant or needed
- Make it more enjoyable by popping on your favourite playlist, or listening to that podcast you’ve been meaning to start
3) Find some downtime
To make sure the festivities don’t overwhelm you this year, ensure that you fit in some downtime. Maybe it’s running yourself a luxurious bubble bath, taking an hour to read that book you’re loving, or getting out in the wonderful fresh air. Going for a walk is a great way to get your mind off the stressors of the holiday season.
4) Spending quality time with loved ones
Social connection is a great way to relax. It will help you feel more connected and less overwhelmed during this busy time. Dig out the board games and enjoy some old fashioned (screen-free) fun!